Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Wonders of Redeeming Love and My Unworthiness...God's Grace through Nine Years


Beneath the cross of Jesus, I gladly took my stand,
The shadow of a mighty rock, within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness, a rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat, and the burden of the day.

October 21, 2000 was the day that the wonders of God's redeeming love first shed light upon my unworthiness. Nine years ago today was when He opened my heart and granted me the gift of faith - faith that would plead for and then trust in His clemency power.

How sweet and awesome is the place
With Christ within the doors,
While everlasting love displays
The choicest of her stores.

While all our hearts and all our songs
Join to admire the feast,
Each of us cry, with thankful tongues,
"Lord, why was I a guest?"

"Why was I made to hear Thy voice,
And enter while there's room,
When thousands make a wretched choice,
And rather starve than come?"

'Twas the same love that spread the feast
That sweetly drew us in;
Else we had still refused to taste,
And perished in our sin.

Nine years ago today, I had never read a book in the Bible and did not know how to look up a verse—but He worked in my heart to enable me to know that I wanted to trust in and obey this God of the Bible. Nine years later, I find my book shelves filled with commentaries, theology books, multiple Bible versions, and books on discipleship, ministry, culture, and Christian living. His graces and mercies abound.

With this blog, I desire to recount of His faithfulness, not mine. When Scripture calls us to "remember," there truly is a reason. How prone we are to forget God’s lavish faithfulness and blessing on our lives - how prone we are to forget the wonders of His redeeming love in light of our unworthiness. How difficult we find it to "remember the man hanging on the tree" as Pilgrim so frequently reflects in Pilgrim's Progress.

Upon that cross of Jesus mine eye at times can see,
The very dying form of One Who suffered there for me;
And from my stricken heart with tears two wonders I confess;
The wonders of redeeming love and my unworthiness.

I take, O cross, thy shadow for my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by to know no gain or loss,
My sinful self my only shame, my glory all the cross.

As I make these hymns my prayer this day, giving thanks to Him who has saved me not on the basis of what I have done, but what Jesus has done in my place...will you turn to Him, too? I look forward to sharing the depths of His redeeming love in life and ministry in this, the ninth year of focusing my eyes on Christ. May He continue the good work that He has begun, for His glory...